Single Point of View

Single Point of View is our way to occasionally share planning ideas relating to personal finance. Our goal is to pass along concepts that you may not be exposed to on a daily basis.

NerdWallet: Credit Report Delinquency

What can I do if I have an erroneous delinquency on my Credit Report?

I am using Credit Karma to monitor my credit. Today I received an update that a new account (under a financial institution I've never heard of; AMCA) has been placed in collections. The amount is nominal at $50. I don't know who to call to investigate, or where to call just to pay it off so I don't have this further impact my credit. Thanks in advance.

2 people found this answer helpful
 CFP® Boston, MA
I am not familiar with CreditKarma, however, you are entitled to receive a free copy of your credit report each year from each of the 3 nationwide credit reporting companies, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion (you simply need to request it).  Utilize to request your report (this is different than the companies you see advertising on TV).
You are given an option to challenge issues on your report, and also get the contact information of the creditors on your report so you can contact them directly to resolve the issue.  If you do contact them directly make sure they are going to report this correction to the credit agencies.
Good luck.
Single Point of View | Social Security Planning

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Saturday, 25 January 2020